~Siem Reap 2012~

I never knew Cambodia was a harsh country. I have to admit, actually the most I knew about Cambodia was its location and Angkor Wat. Period.


So it was nothing amazing for me when we arrived at Siem Reap airport, being picked up by a local guide provided by Air Asia, while being briefed about the things we could do in a air-cond van.


After signing a half day tour on the day of arrival and a full day tour the next day, we had our first Cambodian breakfast around the hotel before dozing off at our upgraded rooms. Waking up at 4am in the morning really made me so sleepy I could barely walk.

After waking up we waited for our guide who took us to our buffet lunch follow by the tour to Tonle Sap floating village. Along the way I noticed that no matter shops or houses, they have these shiny gold Chinese decorations on top of their doors like those I used to see at my mother's village. Although I knew Cambodia is a Buddhist country, I didn't know it was practiced by so many.

Tonle Sap was a name I heard before back when I studied Geography. Never knew or dreamed that I could visit it one day. The fresh water lake was really huge and from what the guide told us, the amount of water changes drastically when it's the monsoon or dry season.

The visit to the floating village was the real eye opener throughout the entire trip. The fisherman were the poorest group in Cambodia according to our guide. From the floating village we got to see boats filled with buckets, hammocks, TV, laundry being hung out etc. Using only car batteries as their electricity power source, they took pride in having TV and stereos, even having handphones which in Malaysia are deemed "antiques".

They bathed in the same river where they threw rubbish in, and at every monsoon season they have to drag their "home" with a small motor boat to higher grounds,moving back only when the water subsided. Children paddling in metal tubs were seen while some jumped into our boat to sell us can drinks for 1USD. Their innocent looking beautiful eyes can sometimes lure our sympathy into purchasing a few things not needed.

It really saddens me to know of the existence of poverty like these, which is a huge contrast of the bangalows I see in KL or the high-tech Japan where I'm living in. However, it's a relief to know that at some part of the world, innocence still exists and lies are not even necessary.

Although only day 1 in Siem Reap, it was also the best part of the trip and also the most significant one for me. 


Day 2 was about visiting ancient ruins,temples and taking picture. Some temples were for worshiping the Gods, some built by the King for his mother and some buddha statues were taken off when Hindhuism was practiced instead. There was a dance show during dinner but truth to be said, I was too sleepy after all the walking and climbing at the temples to really enjoy the show.

On Day 3 we visited the silk farm which was pretty different from other farms we had seen in China etc. In this silk farm we get to touch the silk worms, squiggly and alive and we managed to get a hands-on the weaving machine as well. And the rest of the day we spent at Cultural village which was pretty much a waste of a money,truth to be told. Spent our evening for blind massage as well which was pretty good in my case, not for the rest though as they mentioned that the masseur didn't really massaged with more strength.


Day 4 was another slow and easy day. We took the tuk-tuk to the Mine Museum and  it was saddening to see that a lot people in Cambodia got hurt because of land mines. Til this day many land mines are still found all over Cambodia. Then we went to La Scentaur to have a look at soaps, oils and hand creams before heading back to Pub Street for shopping.


All in all, it was a good trip and a real eye opener. But if I were to suggest, I would not go more than 3 days..The end. 






0 comments:

My Blog List

Powered by Blogger.